Sunday 25 March 2012

Day 11 Week 2


Today I am in the heart of the Confederate States of America. Well, what used to be. I am in the Deep South, Indianola Mississippi. Home of the Delta Blues.

 Crossing the Mississippi River
It's a big river

I'm home at last
I travelled across Oklahoma and through Arkansas today, right across Tornado Alley, during the Tornado season, hoping to see at least one and just my luck, the sky was blue and not a leaf on a tree was moving. It was actually really HOT today. It was 81 degrees which is about 27.5 Celcius. Not too hot normally but the humidity really added to the hotosity factor.

Arkansas was really nice. Everything was lush and green and thick with trees. I mean thick. You would really struggle to walk through the bush.

 Typical Arkansas countryside

I couldn’t get over the amount of eagles in Arkansas. There were a few in Oklahoma but in Arkansas, they were as common as Magpies back home. Every few miles there would be one or two circling the Interstate. There was a lot of road kill, so I suppose they have it worked out. One spot there was about 12 of them circling around. I tried to take a pic but it didn’t work real well.

It has been really interesting noticing the changing accents as I travel east and now south as well. I was talking to a fellow in a service station in Pine Bluff Arkansas and his southern drawl was such that I could hardly understand him and he couldn’t understand me so it was like a comedy act. Both speaking the Queens English but asking each other to repeat what we were saying. We had a laugh about it afterwards.   He was filling his car on the other side of the bowsers to mine.

So far I have done 3096 miles or 4982.52 Kilometres since picking up the car. About a quarter of the way.

I think I will spend a few days in the South poking about. There is a lot of Civil War history down here so I will see how it goes.  The people here have been really nice.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brad,are you going to Memphis and Gracelands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends. I have to make a phone call in the morning to see if I will be going to Alabama or not. If I'm not, I will head up there but if I do go to Alabama, it will be too far to go back. I will continue in a sweep up through Georgia to join the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. I have positioned myself tonight so I can go either way tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete