Friday 30 March 2012

Day 16 Week 3

Explored the Blue Ridge Mountains today from Georgia into North Carolina. This is real Red Neck country around here and that isn’t an insult. They are proud of it.  Deliverance was filmed about an hour from here. They are celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the making of the movie this year. I came across a little service station called Clay’s Corner in the town of Brasstown, North Carolina.
 Clay's Corner, Brasstown, North Carolina. Home of the possum drop.

They host the original New Years Eve Possum Drop. Just like in times square these ‘Hillbillies’ drop their equivalent of the ball. A live possum. It used to be dropped freefall but PETA got onto it and now they have to place it in a glass box and lower it slowly to the ground. It is then let go. Even that doesn’t satisfy PETA and they are constantly trying to stop it all together.

I continued on through the mountains further into North Carolina. The amount of people on the east coast is unbelievable. I thought I had seen a lot of people travelling around up till now, but the numbers have increased dramatically since I have come out of the mountains. I think I will visit the sites and people I want to see on this side of the country and get back out into the country. ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment