Tuesday 3 April 2012

Day 20 Week 3

I rose just before daybreak to a glorious sunrise over the battlefield. Deer were grazing nearby and the frost was crisp on the grass.



Deer grazing amongst canons

View from the watchtower


It must have gotten cold last night

I completed my visit to the Antietam Battlefield and moved on into Pennsylvania to Gettysburg. Gettysburg is referred to as the ‘High water mark of the Confederacy’ because it is the furthest point north the Confederate army ever got. Robert E Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia was soundly defeated and some say it was the turning point of the war.  In 3 days of battle the combined losses for both sides equalled approximately 50,000 men, dead, wounded, missing or captured.


Robert E Lee astride his horse 'Traveller'
If you have seen the movie, this is where Jeff Daniels brilliant portrayal of Joshua Chamberlain actually took place.
I spent the whole day at Gettysburg, such is the size of the battlefield. I decided not to stay in Gettysburg because being such a tourist town now, accommodation was bound to be very expensive. I am staying tonight just north of Harrisburg Pensylvania. Tomorrow, I will head a little bit further north before turning left and heading for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment