Sunday 15 April 2012

Day 32 Week 5


I drove down through Oregon and crossed over into Northern California. I punched back over to the sea so that I could travel through the Redwood forests of North West California. These trees are amazing. They average 300 feet high and are dead straight. There used to be about 2 million acres of Redwood forests but due to unrestricted logging there are only about 100,000 acres left. Luckily the government has declared them national forests so they should be well protected now.
I tried to take some photo’s but my little camera just couldn’t take them all in.






Whilst heading down the coast I got held up temporarily by a herd of Moose. They had wandered out of the hills and took up residence on and around the main road.

She's not wearing a party hat, that is a stop sign behind her.



The sand on the beaches here is a strange grey colour. Nothing like the white sand at home.


Petrol is ridiculously expensive up here compared to the rest of the country. It is $3.79 a gallon on average elsewhere but up here it is $4.59 a gallon.  I’ve no Idea why.
I have done 9,135 miles or 14,698 kilometres so far. I still have about 800 miles to LA so I will come in close to the 10,000 miles or 16,000 kilometres I estimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment