Friday 6 April 2012

Day 23 Week 4


I set off for Niagara Falls about 09.00 after having the motels continental breakfast. Finally a motel that put out bread as well as the usual bagels, muffins and donuts.... lots of sugary donuts or danish’s. I can’t believe what they eat for breakfast but anyway, I saw the bread and thought you ripper. I went back to my room and got my emergency jar of Vegemite that I brought with me, just in case I couldn’t go 6 weeks without it. Geez it tasted good too.
Anyway, I got to the falls about 12.30ish and typical of most touristy places around here, it was chockers. I found a place to park (and pay) and did like everyone else and took a million pictures. It was very impressive.
Going through Customs in Canada
 Approaching the falls


I went up this tower for a look and it was definitely worth the $11.00. The view from up there was amazing.

 External lifts
It was pretty high.....
Taking my reflection in the windows.
After that, I headed off west across Ontario towards the little town of Sarnia which is on the border with the USA just above Detroit. I was trying to avoid Detroit so I crossed back in here. I didn’t want to hang around in Canada for too long because everything seemed to be a lot more expensive than in the US. Bit like Australian prices. Fuel was $1.28 a litre compared to about $1.00 a litre equivalent in the States. I had an Indian meal for lunch, and it cost me $17.50 without a drink. The same meal in the States is about $6.00 with a bottomless drink.

Coming back into the States, the Customs and Border Protection officer was a really nice bloke and asked me where I was heading from there. I told him I was heading to Flint (which was the next big town on my map) and he said “Why do you want to go to Flint?” I said “ Just to find some accommodation, I’ve been driving for about 7 hrs” He said “I wouldn’t stay in Flint’ it is the second worst town in America for crime, second only to Detroit” He strongly suggested I push on further so I took his advice. I have ended up in a little place called Charlotte, Michigan, just south of Lansing. I ended up doing 512 miles or 823 klms today. Bit more than I was planning but it puts me in a good place to kick off towards Chicago tomorrow. I won’t be stopping in Chicago, just passing through.

All up, I have done 5,887 miles or 9,474 klms in 23 days.  Life on the road is great.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics Brad! Wow, that's a lot of kms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeab Paul, I'm up to 7,200 miles now. Having a ball though.

    ReplyDelete